I have spent my whole life networking and meeting others. I just love meeting people and learning something new everyday.
I would it’s a crazy Obsession the want and need to meet people. I do get energy from it. I was at an Ivy event once and people say man you are the most extroverted person I have ever met I in my entire life.
It is interesting to see when I do sit down by myself in a park. I do get a ton of energy and satisfaction from that as well. I love how I can be with myself. I recently found to love myself as much as I love other people but that’s a story for another day. Anyways, here are some of my takeaways from the amazing people I have met along the way on my journey.
- The learning never stops. All of the most successful people I know are life long learners.They read a ton of books and they are never complacent. They are never comfortable there is no such thing as a final destination. It’s all about the journey baby!
- They are givers not takers. All of the most successful people are always willing to help others out. They do not expect anything in return. They are not matchers. Although I would say most people are matchers. They are willing to help others out always and willingly of course they still take care of their own needs first. You cannot help others until you put your own oxygen mask on first.
- They are a mentor or having mentors. The high performers are always willing to seek mentors even at the top of their game being a C level executive at a fortune 100 company. They are actually even more likely to have multiple mentors.
- Everyone is truly amazing. No matter what your story is and what you have “accomplished in life”. People are amazing, being a wonderful mom, or loving son, or just the best partner you can with your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend. You don’t need to win a ton of awards to have a strong sense of purpose.
- People have that a vision go much further. I have noticed that the most amazing managers, directors, and VPs all have such a strong vision. Their optimism or the ability to have people believe in something other than themselves is super powerful.
- Just love everyone. You never know and most people can’t predict the future. The more we try to predict something, the ability to be disappointed will happen.Love is the single thing that holds us all together and connects us on a deeper level. Love cannot be understated. Love trumps everything always and it will forever.
- Just enjoying the journey. People are accomplishing the most amazing things right now and the ones that stop and smell the roses inspire the heck out of me. It is easier to play the victim card and talk about a ton of the negative things in the news but there is so many amazing things everyday everywhere that we choose not to talk about it because it doesn’t sell as many papers. Be more grateful. We all can. Even myself even though I call myself the gratefulness coach.
- Just be yourself. We all have our own unique voice. The more you try to be like someone or something else. The more likely, you will fail. So much of our happiness is tied to our sense of identity. This is a truth. If you don’t believe try to be someone else for a week and notice how exhausting it is.
- Don’t take life too seriously. So what if you messed up or screwed up a speech? The world is not ending. People tend to overthink things and everything is going to be okay. That is number one most common thing a lot of millionaires and billionaires say to their 21 year old self is. They worried too much in life or how life is going to turn out. The quicker people realize. Many things in life are out of our control. The more you start focusing on what truly matters.
- There is no wrong or right. This a tricky one for a ton of people. There is never just one path. There are so many paths to success. Don’t be like everyone else. There is only one Davidson.
I just wanted to say thank you so much for everything you guys have all taught me. It’s been an amazing journey and ride. I love you all and am so grateful for all of the many interactions. I have had so far.