I love CrossFit with a passion.
It has been an amazing transformative journey so far and I blessed to be able to have the opportunity to be supported by the best of the best!
1.The power of a sense of community and support. Being a relatively new Crossfitter (I started back in October of 2016) I am routinely one of the last people to finish my conditioning portion of the WOD(workout of the day) so it might look something like this. I am doing my last 50 pull ups and the team whole of 20+ CrossFitters are cheering you on screaming at you after a hard 55 minutes of doing 100 push ups, 100 squats, 100 pull ups, 100 wall balls, and 100 box jumps. You feel like you can’t lift anymore because it’s Friday and you had worked your ass off the first 4 days of yoga, Pilates, running, and 3 other days of intense CrossFit workouts… Your sweat is dripping like crazy and you just have 10 more and you literally feel like you are spent. Your arms are giving out…. But the energy of 20 other people motivating you and cheering you on to get a new PR gives you the boost of energy for you to bang out 5 more pull ups… You have 5 left so you do 3 and then the last 2 you want to make it good to make sure it counts or else you have to do them over.
This is a typical day at Crossfit Solace in NYC. This is one of the most hardcore Crossfit gyms in the nation. The coaches all have over 200k followers each (or it what it seems like to me) on Instagram so you know they are practicably Instagram famous for being leaders in the space.
There are athletes that are ranked extremely high worldwide and compete at the Olympic level. I believe there are 2 coaches that compete at that level at my gym. Surrounding yourself with greatness is another advice and tip that I strongly urge all of you to take if you are looking for improvement and looking for a hack on how to improve every day.
- The power of going outside your comfort zone.
It is certainly not easy and everyone knows that going the gym is good for your health and well-being. We all know that eating healthy is good for you, eating veggies, etc but most of us don’t do it because it is simply not easy.
I think Crossfit helps you plunge into the uncomfortable zone. I know this because in the winter we run 400-meter laps regularly in below freezing temperature in our shorts as part of the workout routine. People look at us very uncomfortably. Which brings me to my next point.
- Not caring or giving a crap about what other people think of you.
Almost every morning when you are running early in the mornings at 6 am outside no matter what the weather is like outside. People will scream yell especially construction workers and after awhile you just tune out and are focused on running as fast as you can.
The ability to have thick skin and not really care about anyone else judging you will serve you well in life because then you are able to be more authentic and you will lose less energy from trying to please others. We all know that the fastest way to be unhappy is to try to please everyone.
4.The ability to wake up super early every morning.
I wake up at 5:20am 5 days a week. The ability to do this helps me become more discipline which carries through all aspects of life because I have noticed I get much more done in the mornings. I tend to write my blog posts and pursue my other passions in the morning such as journaling and being able to brainstorm new ideas and other creative pursuits.
- The value of having a coach is so powerful. The accountability aspect and having coaching in regards to helping with your movements and form. Especially when doing complex movements and learning new olympic weightlifting techniques. This will help you learn the right way and be able to help you not hurt yourself as well learning best practices. There is so much value in being able to learn the quickest and fastest way to be explosive to amplify your strength and conditioning. I was able to run a half marathon without training one day outside of Crossfit running because my endurance has increased significantly from building my stamina everyday in our box.
- The power of social media. Solace does a great job at marketing and really leveraging social media. They have so many powerful reviews and really do a good job at both word of mouth and still leveraging their reputation as one of the nicest and hardcore Crossfit gyms in the nation.
- The power of believing in yourself. It doesn’t get any easier the more you do Crossfit. Becoming truly good at it and just giving it your all. The power of commitment to Crossfit is amazing.
There are people that never miss a day even when they are on vacation. They look up other boxes and attend Crossfit when traveling for business or vacation.
I know that a lot of things in life come easier when doing crossfit. When it is making that 60th phone call at 5pm at work to try to talk to one more prospect. It is similar to doing that 100th muscle up for the day to end my workout because I want to prove to myself more importantly that I am capable of commitment and pushing my boundaries to become a better version of myself than yesterday.
Davidson Hang is currently in Sales at Cheetah Digital which is a Marketing technology company located in NYC.
Davidson is an avid networker, personal growth- life and business coach.
He loves spreading the love and regularly helps people create and design the life they want for themselves.