Just to set the stage. Andy Cohen is a TV personality- American talk show and radio host, author, and producer. He hosts Bravo’s Live with Andy Cohen and is the first openly gay host of an American- Late night talk show and is famous for The Real Housewives Franchise.
- Lesson 1– Do not be afraid to ask the hard questions.
Andy talks about really challenging everyone he meets. When he is not given the opportunity, he makes his own opportunities. Life is about being bold and taking initiative. Fortune favors the brave. Andy did not let failure and rejection from reaching his goals.
- Lesson 2- Do the things you love.
Andy is really passionate about everything in life and his passions. You can tell from the way he answers the questions when we interviewed him. He always answers everything enthusiastically with conviction. People love people who are passionate about what they do for a living.
One quote that really struck a cord with me was that. “Everything I do, I think is important which is why I am so successful at many things, because I take it seriously and give it my all.” That was really powerful and really highlights his work ethic which leads to him being successful in so many different avenues such an author, a producer and a talk show host.
- Lesson 3- Be grateful, he talks about how he is grateful for everything opportunity and overall is just a super optimistic person. His contagious smile and all of his interactions are truly authentic. You can tell he is actually having a good time and doesn’t hold back and does not really get phased by what people say. When people criticize him and his show he defends his cast and what he stands for. It is amazing to see that level of commitment.
- Lesson 4- Use humor to diffuse any situation. A couple of time we tried to stump him with difficult questions but he always had some sort of witty response. It really makes the time pass by much more quickly and it is always just a good time with Andy.
- Lesson 5- Putting out quality content and the rest will fall into place.
This is important for marketers. We are drowning in content nowadays with social media and everyone fighting for out attention. This really just highlights the importance of quality. When you have quality content, the viewers will come organically. He does everything on the spot on his show and does not spend a ton of time preparing which leads to the show being much more authentic and real.
- Lesson 6- Using data to figure out trends.
Andy says he is data driven just like how Cheetah Digital is. Data is everything. It determines where the revenue is coming from and how to focus your energies.
- Lesson 7 –Creativity is king