I wanted to make a video for anyone who has recently been affected by layoffs. I keep hearing many of my former colleagues have been let go. It’s such a tough time right now, and this was advice I wish I had known before my job search.
Top ten tips
- Take some time to reflect and process everything. Do not apply to jobs from a place of scarcity. You most likely won’t enjoy the jobs you are blindly applying to anyways.
- Reach out to your inner circle folks who believe in you. They will build back your confidence after it has been shattered by wondering what I did wrong?
- Make a list of companies that you enjoyed working for and aspects of the jobs that you’ve had to reflect on what has given you the most fulfillment
- Leverage tools like Glassdoor, Repvue, Bravado, Fishbowl, and Blind
- Reach out to your network- reach out to ex-colleagues with whom you have strong relationships. They can speed up the interview process and put in a good word for you.
- Many people network when it’s too late. Have a ton of coffee chats and try to understand what the market is like, pros and cons. Have a list of thoughtful questions from a place of curiosity, not a place of neediness.
- Create a list of your accomplishments that will help you highlight them during recruiter calls
- Hire a career coach. This will help you process everything. Therapy also helps because when we are in a place of survival, it often brings out the worse traits
- Journal, reflect and make sure you have hobbies because when you are in a higher vibration, you will attract the right companies and people.
- Have fun, don’t take yourself too seriously. Almost everyone has been through layoffs at some point in their career, and they remember how stressful it was. People are more emphatic than you think no need to have shame around it.
Davidson Hang is currently in Sales at Cheetah Digital which is a Marketing technology company located in NYC.
Davidson is an avid networker, personal growth- life and business coach.
He loves spreading the love and regularly helps people create and design the life they want for themselves.